In this study I will refer to the Jesus of early Christian devotion as "Jesus" and "Christ" with no distinction intended, unless such a distinction is made in the early Christian source be ing studied. Characteristically, in early Christian circles Jesus of Nazareth is taken as the figure God has exalted to unique authority and status as "Christ" and "Lord" e.
- - Document - Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity.
- Related books and articles.
- Eerdmans Studies in Early Christianity (9 vols.).
- Denver Seminary?
- Authenticating the Activities of Jesus (New Testament Tools and Studies).
- Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity | Logos Bible Software.
- Reflections on Theology, History, and Culture.
As is well known among scholars, so pronounced were such convictions that the term "Christ" quickly became almost another name for Jesus in early Christian usage, as continues to be the case in popular usage to this day. The classic study by A.
For discussions of early Chris tian ethics that take these traditions as context, see W. An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page.
Download Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity: Devotion to Jesus in
If the problem persists, please try again in a little while. No cover image. Read preview. Excerpt The indisputable centrality of the figure of Jesus in early Christian devotion is the premise for this book, and my aim is to offer a new historical description and analysis of this remarkable phenomenon. But despite the similarities 1.
The cumulative force of his argument—that the earliest Christians viewed Jesus as divine Lord and Christ—is nothing less than overwhelmingly convincing and paradigm changing. Perhaps the one lacuna of this tome surrounds the relative neglect of canonical writings which are neither Pauline nor Gospels. As Hurtado devotes five pages and a couple paragraphs to Revelation and the Catholic Epistles, respectively, conceptions of Jesus within these writings stands as a potential area for future research.
Lord Jesus Christ stands as a game-changer in the study of early Christianity and the history of Christian doctrine especially Christology and comes highly recommended for anyone engaged with these subjects. Reblogged this on Talmidimblogging. You are commenting using your WordPress. You are commenting using your Google account. You are commenting using your Twitter account. You are commenting using your Facebook account.
Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity
Notify me of new comments via email. Notify me of new posts via email. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed. Search for:.
Larry W. Marcion of Sinope. Like this article?
- Sonnets of Autumn, op. 27, no. 3, Fluttering Leaves!
- Eerdmans Studies in Early Christianity (9 vols.) | Logos Bible Software?
- Download options.
- Lord Jesus Christ : Larry W. Hurtado : .
- The Dark Woman of the Mountains/Molly Oge.
- Hybrid Membrane Systems for Water Purification: Technology, Systems Design and Operations.